Each day, Lawrence MOW delivers between 115 – 135 meals. This enormous task would not be possible without our number one resource – volunteers. Over 120 volunteers each week are utilized to serve our clients. [br]
Volunteers pick up meals between 11:00 – 11:30 AM at Lawrence MOW, and then delivers meals to 5-8 clients. The delivery bags are then returned to Lawrence MOW. The entire process typically takes an hour or less and can easily be done over your lunch hour.
Volunteers initially train with a staff member or volunteer by riding along on a route prior to driving their own. We provide route sheets and written driving directions. Our staff is always available to answer any questions and assist as needed.
Our volunteers vary in age and comprise parents who drive with their children, KU students, executives who drive during their lunch hour, and retired individuals. We are flexible and can work with your schedule (i.e., if you are going to be out of town, if you can only help over the holidays and/or during the summer, etc.).
A valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance are required.
Two types of drivers are needed:
- Regular Drivers: Pick a day of the week and drive the same route each week on that day.
- Substitute Drivers: Pick and choose which day(s) you are available each week, and our staff will call you as needed.
Other Volunteer Opportunities:
- Meal Site Supervisors: Arrive at MOW at 10:00 AM and make sure that the meals are in the right order and that the drinks are included. Once routes are ready, you can also deliver a route (if interested).
- Event/Fundraising Volunteers: Throughout the year, Lawrence MOW has several fundraisers, from letter campaigns to our Chefs & Refs charity auction event. Each event requires a sufficient number of personnel, time and energy.
- General Office Work and Data Entry Volunteers
Please call 785-830-8844 to inquire about our volunteer opportunities.